This Post has already been read 829 times.
UBM Omni, a United Bank Ltd’s Branchless Banking Services has been shortlisted for GSMA Global Mobile Awards 2012 that will be held from February 28th, 2012.
UBL Omni has been shortlisted in these two categories:
- Best Product, Initiative or Service for Undeserved Segments
- Best Use of Mobile in Emergency or Humanitarian Situations
The bank claimed to have offered transparent and efficient Cash Disbursement Service to government of Pakistan, UNDP (United Nations Development Fund) and WFP (World Food Program), after the 2009 International Displacement Persons (IDPs) Crisis and 2010′s destructed Flood Crises.
Omni has established itself as second largest branchless banking services and network after Telenor’s Easypaisa.
UBL Omni was launched in April 2010, has established more than 5,000 agents, countrywide and disbursed payments to around 2 million recipients.
UBL Omni’s efforts have been recognized at a global level with nominations for the 17th GSMA Global Mobile Award 2012, which is considered as Oscar of telecom world.
Omni is contesting with different companieson category 4a including
- Grameenphone Ltd. and University Oslo for “Reaching the Unreachable through ICT”
- Milvik for Bima mobile fife insurance
- Safaricom for Grundfos
- ToughStuff for Solar Solutions for Off-Grid Charging
- Webaroo Technologies for GupShup
- Besides it is contesting with different companies on category
- Flowminder.org for Rapid Population Movement Analysis using Cellphones Data for Improving Efficiency of Humanitarian Relief
- MoreMagic and Voila for T-Cash following the Haitian earthquake
- NYY DOCOMO for Recovery from Great East Japan Earthquake and New Disaster Preparedness
- Smart Communication Inc. (Smart) for the Strengthening Disaster Preparedness of Southern Leyte through SMS technology
There are 8 categories and 23 sub-categories for which 600 enteries were submitted. From which 158 organizations were shortlisted out of 600 entries from across the world and from across the mobile Eco-system, making it a significant achievement for UBL Omni to be part of it.