Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, semiconductors and telecommunications, today announced that it won 24 prestigious International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014 Innovations Awards. CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow held by the Consumer Electronics Association® (CEA) every year, has honored Samsung with 258 awards in the past 10 years.
Among the 24 CES awards for 2014, Samsung was recognized with a Best of Innovations award and three Eco-Design honors. Products entered in the CES Innovations program are judged by a pre-eminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 29 categories.
“Samsung continues to create superior groundbreaking products as well as unique content and services,” said Y.K. Kim, president and CEO, Samsung Electronics North America. “We are honored that CEA and the industry recognize this commitment, and we look forward to sharing our latest product innovations at the 2014 International CES.”
Samsung Electronics’ award-winners include products in the Video Display; Home Audio/Video Components; Wearable Tech; Tablet, E-Reader, and Mobile Computing; Home Appliance; Digital Imaging and Embedded Technologies categories. All of Samsung’s award-winning products will be on display during the 2014 International CES, which runs January 7-10, 2014, in Samsung booth #12004 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. Honorees will also be displayed at CES Unveiled: The Official Media Event of the International CES from 4-7 p.m. on Sunday, January 5 in the South Seas Ballroom C at Mandalay Bay.
Many of the winning products will be first unveiled at Samsung’s CES press conference, scheduled for 2 p.m. on Monday January 6, 2014. The following are additional details for some of the award recipients:
–Samsung’s ultra-slim, high density 3GB LPDDR3 Mobile DRAM Chip enables slimmer smartphone designs with higher performance, increased battery life, full HD resolution and smart features such as gesture control and facial recognition. It provides transfer speeds of up to 2.133 megabits per second (Mbps) per pin, speeds that help most users enjoy PC-like performance on a mobile device.
– Samsung’s Galaxy Gear™ is revolutionizing the way people interact with their mobile devices. This groundbreaking wearable keeps you connected like never before by expanding the Galaxy smartphone experience to your wrist and enhancing everyday moments with real-time updates for quick and convenient access.
– The Samsung Curved OLED TV takes an unprecedented leap forward in picture quality as well as the TV viewing experience. By enabling two people to watch two different programs at the same time on one TV – both in full screen and full HD, the KN55S9C may bring an end to fights over the remote.
– The Samsung T9000 Four-Door Refrigerator represents the next evolution in appliance innovation. Among the features of this 32 cu. ft. refrigerator is a modern and sleek design that brings a heightened level of sophistication to the kitchen such as a best-in-class 25.6 cu. ft. of fresh food storage with a 6.1 cu. ft. convertible freezer compartment.
– The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition redefines the tablet experience with a 10.1” Super Clear LCD display and an Exynos 5420 quad-core processor. Improving upon its innovative and immersive tablet experience, Samsung introduces enhanced S Pen and Multi-Window capabilities and a new Multi User Mode.
– The Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 is a premium tablet that enables creativity and productivity on-the-go in an ideal form. It brings a new era of intelligent Note technology, featuring Samsung’s S Pen and Multi-Window capability, set to re-ignite the mid-size tablet category that Samsung pioneered in 2010.
– Samsung’s new Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is thin, lightweight, feature-packed and powerful, making it the ideal portable tablet. The Tab 3 makes it easy to stay connected and balance many tasks such as emailing, managing your schedule, reading and streaming content on the HD display.
– The Samsung Galaxy NX is the first fully-connected interchangeable lens camera. Merging the superior imaging precision of a compact system camera, 3G/4G LTE and WiFi connectivity with the power and functionality of the latest Android OS, the Galaxy NX turns every picture into a story worth telling.
As part of Samsung’s PlanetFirst™ initiative, a commitment to become one of the world’s most environmentally friendly companies, Samsung has a dedicated goal to develop environmentally friendly products and building green manufacturing sites. In its latest effort to support that commitment Samsung received three Eco-Design awards which include:
– The Samsung DV457 Front-Load Dryer which combines superior fabric care performance and smart features to significantly streamline the laundry process without compromising energy efficiency. Its temperature modulation system makes it the first super-efficient dryer on the market, and its 2013 ENERGY STAR Emerging Technology Award is the first-ever to be earned by a dryer.
About the CES 2014 Innovation Awards:
The prestigious Innovations Design and Engineering Awards, sponsored by the CEA who produce the International CES – the global gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technology, have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976. The CES Innovation entries are judged based on the following criteria:
- Engineering qualities, based on technical specs and materials used
- Aesthetic and design qualities, using photos provided
- The product’s intended use/function and user value
- Why the product deserves the Innovations award, including specifics regarding its unique/novel features and features that consumers would find attractive
- How the design and innovation of this product directly compare to other products in the market place
Products chosen as an Innovations honoree reflect innovative design and engineering of the entries. Examples may include the first time various technologies are combined in a single product or dramatic enhancements to previous product designs.
Innovations 2014 Design and Engineering honoree products are featured on CESweb.org/Innovations, which lists product categories, as well as each product name, manufacturer information, designer, description, photo and URL.