Ufone and Meezan Bank launches industry-first Islamic Branchless Banking Service ‘Meezan UPaisa’. This is not only the first of its kind in Pakistan, but is being offered for the first time in the world, through Ufone’s partnership with Meezan Bank.
Meezan UPaisa is a pioneer in Islamic Branchless Banking system that allows customers to send and receive money across Pakistan through a Shariah compliant system, with complete ease and convenience. In a Shariah compliant banking system, there is no interest as an Islamic bank earns its profits from Shariah compliant businesses or investments, whereas a commercial bank earns its revenues from interest. This way, through Meezan UPaisa, your hard earned halal money does not go through a system that handles interest money, keeping it free of interest and halal at every step of the way. In addition, customers will also be able to pay Postpay bills, recharge your balance through Uload and pay utility bills through Meezan UPaisa.
For Meezan UPaisa products, customers just need to visit the nearest Meezan UPaisa shop anywhere in Pakistan and become a part of the world’s first Islamic Branchless Banking service.
Over the Country Money Transfer:
You can now send and receive money to and from your family and friends from any authorized outlet in the most efficient, secure and convenient way. You don’t even have to be a Ufone subscriber or Meezan Bank account holder, rather customers of all the mobile operators can avail these services. The best thing about the service is that any person in Pakistan can use this product without any prior registration.
- Shariah compliant Islamic Branchless Banking for the first time in Pakistan.
- Any person with a valid CNIC can send money or receive money.
- This service is not limited to Ufone subscribers; other mobile network subscribers can also use this service.
- There is no paper work or form filling required.
- An instant SMS message will be sent to both the Sender and the Receiver on sending/receiving money.
- Sending/Receiving can be done from all authorized outlets throughout Pakistan.
- No more waiting in long lines – Money transfer can be done even at late hours.
The Sender needs to bring and provide the following for a Money Transfer:
- Their original and valid CNIC along with 1 Photocopy of the CNIC (Mandatory)
- Receiving person’s valid CNIC Number (Mandatory)
- Their own mobile phone number and the receiver’s mobile phone number
- During sending, the Sender will be asked to enter a 5-digit secret code on the Retailer’s mobile phone. This code should not be told to the Retailer, and only communicated to the Receiver.
- Both the Sender and Receiver will receive confirmation SMS messages containing the transaction information and Token number
The Receiver needs to bring and provide the following for a Money Transfer:
- Their original & valid CNIC along with 1 Photocopy of the CNIC (Mandatory)
- They must know the Token number and the 5-digit secret code (communicated by the Sender)
Sending & Receiving Transactional Limits:
- Rs.15, 000 per month on a CNIC
- No limits on the number of transactions per month
- No charges on CNIC receiving cash
Utility Bill Payment:
The Utility Bill payment service brings you a hassle free and secure way to pay your utility bills. Now you can easily pay your utility bills from your nearest Meezan UPaisa authorized Retailers, Ufone Franchises and all Ufone Sales & Service Centers or Meezan Bank branches.
- Pay wherever you are: A convenient way of paying your utility bills through vast network of authorized shops, Ufone Franchises, Meezan Bank Branches or Ufone Service Centers. Just visit any of your nearest authorized location and pay your utility bills easily.
- Pay whenever you want: Unlike conventional bank timings, Utility Bill Payment services are available at your convenience from a retailer near you!
- Security: All transactions happen in real-time and are completely secure and reliable. An instant confirmation SMS will be sent at each bill payment which contains all transaction details.
List of Utility Bills:
Following Utility Companies bills can be paid Over-The-Counter (OTC) through authorized outlets:-
1. HESCO (Hyderabad Electric Supply Company)
2. GEPCO (Gujranwala Electric Supply Company)
3. KE (K-Electric)
4. MEPCO (Multan Electric Power Company)
5. LESCO (Lahore Electric Supply Company)
1. Ufone Postpaid
2. Mobilink Postpaid
3. Warid Postpaid
4. Zong Postpaid
5. Telenor Postpaid
6. PTCL Land line
7. PTCL EVO Prepaid
8. PTCL EVO Postpaid
9. PTCL Vfone
10. PTCL Defaulter
13. Qubee Consumer
14. Qubee Distributor
1. SSGC (Sui Southern Gas Company Ltd)
2. SNGPL (Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Ltd)
How to pay Utility Bills at a Meezan UPaisa Shop?
Paying Utility Bills over the counter at any registered outlet is very simple and easy:
- Bring your bill and the required amount of cash to any of our authorized outlets.
- Ask the retailer/shop keeper to pay your bill using Utility Bill payment service.
- Give your mobile phone number to the retailer to receive a confirmation SMS as soon as the bill is paid. If you do not have a mobile phone, check the confirmation message on the retailer’s mobile phone.
- Upon completion of the payment, the retailer will stamp your bill. Collect the stamped bill, which will carry the transaction information.
There are no additional service fee/charges for bill payment OTC at authorized outlets.
You can now purchase airtime, that is, get ULoad or any other Telco Prepaid through Meezan UPaisa. Simply visit any authorized Meezan UPaisa outlet and communicate the load amount to the retailer. Customers and retailers will both get a confirmation message upon successful completion of transaction.
Go to any authorized Meezan UPaisa outlet and communicate the load amount to the retailer. Customers and retailers will both get a confirmation message upon successful completion of transaction.
Telco Prepaid Companies:
5. PTCL Evo Prepaid
6. Qubee Distributor
Meezan UPaisa Charges:
|Transaction Type||Start Slab (Rs.)||End Slab (Rs.)||Bank Fee (Rs.)||Total Charges (Rs.)|
|OTC SEND MONEY||1||1,000||51.72||60|
|OTC RECEIVE MONEY||1||1,000||Free|
|Postpay Bill Payment||Free|
|Utility Bill Payment||Free|
Q: What is Meezan UPaisa?
A: Meezan UPaisa is Pakistan’s only Islamic Branchless Banking Service that will enable customers to send and receive money, pay bills, purchase mobile airtime and much more, all through a halal and shariah compliant system.
Q: What if the customer does not have Ufone SIM?
A: Using Meezan Upaisa doesn’t restrict you to use any particular mobile connection rather you can freely use the services without any hassle all in a halal way.
Q: How can a customer (non-account holder) send or receive money?
A: For Money Transfer, customer can visit any authorized Meezan UPaisa retailer with his/her valid/original CNIC to perform funds transfer transactions.
Q: Can a customer give any other proof of identity in case of CNIC (receiver / depositor) is lost?
A: No, Original CNIC is a mandatory requirement in order to initiate or complete a transaction.
Q: What type of transactions could be done?
A: Below mentioned are the transaction types:
- CNIC to CNIC (Customers will send and receive from two different agent locations)
- Utility Bill Payments
- Send or Receive Money
- Get Air-time / Pay Post Paid Bills
- Pay your ISP/Internet Bills
Q: For Utility Bill Payment if the due date is over then will the system display the updated amount with surcharge or not?
A: Meezan UPaisa does not offer after due date bill payment.
Q: Customer can transfer top up to his own number or other numbers as well?
A: Any mobile number can be topped up.
Q: What are the transaction limits applied?
A: Rs. 15,000 per month can be transacted from one CNIC. There is no limit on number of transactions conducted.
Q: What are the products being offered?
A: Currently, the only products being offered are:
- OTC Send/Receive Money
- OTC Bill Payment
- ULoad/Postpaid Bill Payment
Q: Are Debit Cards offered along with opening of account?
A: Debit Cards are not currently offered.
Customers can contact Meezan UPaisa through any of the following:
- Customer/Agent Helpline (For Ufone Subscribers): 2020
- UAN: 033 55 55 2020
- UPaisa Wallet USSD Short Code: *786# (for both agents and customers)